30.5.07

The truth about my Eurovision

A few readers have emailed me out of concern, asking why, when I covered the run-up to Eurovision 2007 on my site so extensively, why did I not comment at all on the event itself? Well, the truth is about to become clear. I spent Eurovision in a state of severe drunkenness at London's finest venue... hosted by Britain's greatest drag-queen, Eb-on-knee see pic on left!


I can't actually remember a lot about the performances, other than that we were mildly pleased with the Spanish entry (I can remember them, they were on at the beginning, before my liver was overwhelmed with alcohol). I regret to say that the middle section of the contest is a blur, and all I remember about that is trying to steal this man's oversized, pink novelty glasses. My memory is a black hole at this point, but swims back into focus when the Ukraine took to the stage and at this point I remember doing a lot of dancing, a lot of cheering and almost ending up in a punch up with a couple of po-faced party-goers who looked like they'd been sucking on lemons. Of course, the highlight of the night was seeing Eb-on-knee. My sister and I are long-time devotees of Britain's greatest drag queen, so we took her a sparkly wand (albeit a cheap one from Claire's accessories) and presented her with it for the evening. Eb-on-knee whipped off her top to reveal a Union Jack corset when Scooch came on stage to sing for the UK. As I said, it's all a blur for me now. As the evening wound up and it became clear that we were going to have to listen to dreary old Serbian entry Molitva being performed as the winner, the silver lining on the cloud was that Eb-on-knee invited us to quaff champagne with her on the floor. The floor which I now remember was carpeted and pretty disgusting. Can't believe I sat on it in my favourite jeans. And as we sat quaffing champagne, the thought popped into my head to ask Eb-on-knee to record a personalised message to one of my mates on my phone, as she couldn't attend Eurovision. And here you can see the result. Look, you can even see her waving the gift we gave her. God bless her!

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:59 am, Blogger Midge said...

Let me get this straight not only did you "quaff champagne" while sitting on dirty carpet, but you did not have Eb-on-knee leave a message for me. You should be ashamed of yourself.

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger londonboy79 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger londonboy79 said...

That sounds like a mission for next year!!

 
At 10:32 pm, Blogger Jamie said...

I did wonder where the londonite of Year 79 had disappeared to but I knew you'd have a likely explanation....

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger londonboy79 said...

Hmm to be honest, I kind of gave up on my blog for a couple of weeks after Eurovision. Kind of like the week after Christmas when all you've got to look forward to is dry, cold turkey and the perennial disappointment of New Year's Eve.

But then I realised, my clip of Eb-on-knee had to be shared with the world!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home